Friday, February 15, 2008

Big Sister Gets Blindsided

So, Mary is out. Mary was picked 8th by my big sister, Ami McNay. To be fair, Ami's first pick would have been Alexis. To be fair again, no one could have seen that coming. Certainly not me. I thought Mary was a steal at pick #8. In fact, if Ami had passed her by, I may very well have scooped her up. Sorry, sis. That is just brutal luck.
I will go ahead and give my first Power Rankings of the contestants below, but first, some memos.

WEEKLY MEMOS
Memo to Chet
It is probably not a good idea to slowly mosey back to your tribe while the challenge is still going on. Especially if you are then going to later claim that you were not exhausted. If you were not exhausted, then hurry up. If you were exhausted, admit it. Instead, you looked ridiculous. Sorry, Greg. Tough stuff.

Memo to Erik
Nice work this week. You were good in the challenge. On top of that, you helped get rid of a good player, and yet no one will see you as the culprit. Let Joel and Mikey fight it out. You are in a great position. Nice, Megan.

Memo to Cirie
You rule. I am glad I picked you. Work your magic. Just remember to pace yourself. It is a long game.

Memo to Ozzy and Amanda
There are other people around! And, this is being videotaped!

Memo to Joel
Congratulations. I hope it was worth it. That was your moment. You chose to come out way too soon. You have been exposed, and no one feels close to you. You could have waited and maybe got a partner in crime before taking control of the game. Like I said, hope you enjoyed it.

WEEK 2 POWER RANKINGS
Because there are so many contestants, I am going to do separate power rankings for the Faves and the Fans.
FANS
1. Alison Gentry: Everyone likes Alexis (Joel, that is important in this game) and she did well in the challenge.
2. Megan Wood: Erik is in a great position, as I mentioned above.
3. Mirranda Meacham: Jason was almost anonymous in this episode, but he is not likely to be in trouble any time soon. Everyone seems to like him.
4. Sarah Blomquist: Mikey may have been called out, but I would still rather have a likeable guy with some game than someone with no strategy or strong people skills.
5. Rich Stafford: I have to put Joel up here, even though I tihnk he made a major mistake this week. He had a great episode, but it is likely to ruin him for the long-term. And also, he's kind of a jerk.
6. Curtis Lillie: Tracey is a little on the outs with her tribe, but she seems like the most formidable player of the ostracized three.
7. Eric Wood: Natalie is not likely to be in trouble anytime soon (what do I know, anyway?). I have yet to see any real game from her yet, though.
8. Kathleen: No one picked her (Daren switched to Parvati). I think she may (outside chance) be able to pull herself together.
9. Greg Moffat: I don't see Chet having any game socially, physically, or strategically. Not impressed.
FAVES
1. Dave McAllister: Dave picked Jonathan. Jonathan has been great so far, but the way things are split on his tribe, he could be the next out. It all depends on my girl, Cirie. This week it looked like she was with Jonathan. Next week, who knows?
2. Angela Stump: Got to admit that I did not like this pick of Ozzy, but he is being featured a lot, and he is just so, so good in the challenges. If Cirie sides with Romeo and Juliet and Cleopatra and Anthony, Ozzy may end up being the most powerful player in the game.
3. Dan Franklin: I think Cirie is in a great position. Just not too much too soon. You can do it.
4. Andrea Moffat: Amanda's name has not come up yet. If Ozzy does well, Amanda does well. As much as the couples thing can be bad, having a partner in crime works well in this game.
5. Kelly McAllister: No one is talking about voting him off. We'll see if he plays any strategy, though.
6. Dan Stump: Eliza. This is a weird one. You will understand this better if you read my last section.
7. Karina Franklin: Amy is in no trouble, and she is in an alliance. The problem: She has barely been in it so far.
8. Ruth King: Yau Man cannot slip through the cracks this time. He needs a strong alliance to help him. We'll see.
9. Daren Blomquist: Parvati could end up doing well. Right now, however, I think she is not off to a very good start.

THE STARS
When I watch Survivor I like to watch to see who the stars of this season are. Sometimes you can tell who will do well by seeing who has consistent interviews. The producers want us to get to know the players who will be around for a long time. So, here are the stars so far (in random order).
1. Jonathan. He has been all over this show. Probably the biggest star through 2 episodes.
2. Mikey. He may be in trouble, but he has been shown a lot.
3. Joel. We know he starred in this last episode.
4. Ozzy. All over it.
5. Alexis. Consistently featured.
6. Kathleen. Maybe she has been featured for bad reasons, or maybe she will be around for a long time.
7. Cirie. Especially this past episode. She seems to be a star.
8. Eliza. This is why I put her up there on the power rankings. She has been consistently shown in interviews.
9. Erik. He is the most marginal of the stars, but he still has been getting regular attention.

There you go. Others are marginally featured, and some have been barely feautred at all. Still, who knows if I know anything.

8 comments:

Curtis and Jane said...

I have faith that Tracy is going to pull away from the oldies and establish herself as a powerhouse! Okay, I can dream right?

Curtis

Sarah said...

Very interesting obs, Dan. I'm so bummed that Mary/Ami are out! They were my partners. I totally agreed with you about Joel and Chet. Chet... take some responsibility, Man!

Mirranda said...

Remember that last season Denise was anonymous for the first several episodes, and she went quite far. I'm not letting your interview theory get me and Jason down... :)

Greg and Andrea said...

Anyone else notice in the end that Joel voted for Tracy instead of Mary? Was I seeing things? By the way, I still believe in the equation gay guy >= jury

-Greg

Megan said...

Love the memos. And your Cerie is doing far too well. Is it possible to pick the Survivor winner two years in a row? The odds are far too slim!

The fans don't seem to have much of a working plan so far, but I am pretty happy with Erik's game. It's quiet, he without enemy, and he is working hard. That's a nice way to start the game.

Faith said...

I am bummed that I didn't get in on this. I am a loyal Survivor fan and have been all 8 years..despite being made fun of often. Oh well, maybe next season. Good Luck you all. If I could pick..I'd pick Alexis. Good one Alison..I like her!

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

I just have to say darn you Joel for voting Mary out...though as Greg noted he voted for Tracy...what the heck? And darn you Chet for meandering back to your team and basically losing the challenge that made them vote off Mary. I hope both of you go and go soon...

I totally don't disagree with the "interview" theory. It is just generally the loud mouths that make drama and fun. Ethan wasn't interview much in Survivor Kenya...

Go Crazy Lady!!!

Ruthie said...

Dan, you are one loyal guy, last season you picked Todd and stuck with him to the end even tho he was a stinker pot and now you are faithfully supporting Cerie. I really like that about you but I am sorry to tell you that I think my Yau Man can slip right thru any cracks there are and let us not forget that famous tackle he did for that first idol. Knocked that Johnny Fairplay so silly that he became nice and wanted to go home!!